March 15, 2012 § Leave a comment
No, my Mama has not lost her senses (not entirely) with that headline. Even she will admit not everything I do on our afternoon walks is adorable. But this little contribution on my part to help the birds and the bees in their spring effort is worth sharing here.
As you all know, we have had an unusual spring season, even for Florida. More of a Wintring. And the confused oak trees are pollinating early and como loco ’round the hood. I assure you, with my height “advantage” I’m the perfect authority to report on the phenomenon. There are record HEAPS of pollen collecting on the ground. Weeeeee! (runs around and breaks into song: “The street gutters are aliveeeeeee, with the mounds of pohhhhh-llennnnnn … La, la, la laaaaaa!”)
But while I’m having fun frolicking through the fluffy yellow mess, it’s not so much fun for my poor human. Let’s just say those are not just doggy ____ bags in Mama’s pocket when we go out these days. (Insider trade tip: Buy stock in Kleenex and/or Puff tissues!!) Muchos tissues EVERYWHERE for Mama. She is a sneezing menace when we take our walks. No matter what expert stealth techniques I try to use, and I have many, I can’t even sneak up on a stupid squirrel – they hear us coming a mile away.
As for La Chica, no adverse allergy effects to report. The pollen and the sneezing just seems to make me giddy. So here is a little film clip to cheer Mama and all the allergy sufferers out there. I like to title it: Viva la Spring Loca! (Subtitle: Spreading the love and the pollen all over tha’ place and the couch. Ole!)
February 13, 2012 § 1 Comment
So if they can make little hand warmers that you can stick in humans’ gloves, could someone please get busy coming up with Chihuahua posterior warmers? I’m sure I’m not the only Chihuahua that lives in a house with tile floors. And when the thermometer plunges like it did yesterday here in Florida … Ay, Caramba (plus a few other choice words)! Let’s jut say I’m not getting out of bed TODAY!! You try it, chicos!
The Snuggy that Mom got me kinda works keeping me warmer, heinous as it may be. But it does nothing for my tender, well, um … butt.
I can picture pretty little pantaloons with a stylish little pocket on the backside to put the warmers in to keep my rear warm. I could even see a line for every occasion — sporty ones for walks around the neighborhood, stretchy ones to make your bum appear slim and trim, designer chic ones for social gatherings with blingy accents!
Here’s a template for any wise, enterprising designers looking to make mucho money. I tell you there is a huge population of cold Chihuahua rears out there just waiting. Remember, this is all in the name of World peace — a cold Chihuahua is a cranky Chihuahua.
August 25, 2011 § Leave a comment
Ay, caramba, amigos! I don’t want to jinx us, but I am really grateful that we escaped the wrath of Hurricane Irene here in Florida. Puerto Rico and some of the islands got pummeled!!
Check this out:
Of course this picture is fake, but my Mama remembers how crazy floods were in Puerto Rico where she spent part of her childhood. So much so that finding a sharky swimming on a highway would NOT have surprised her. Eeeeeeeek!!
I must also say anything I was muy worried about our boy, so recently installed into his 5th-floor dorm room at FAU in Boca Raton. He was going to be seeing it all VEEEEERYclose and personal from his window!
Some Chihuahua hurricane survival tips:
- Don’t lose sight of your humans. Have your blanky, favorite toy and food bowls ready to go if you have to evacuate.
- Stay on the high ground (for me the back of the couch) but find a safe, warm dry spot somewhere in the safest room of the house – the room least exposed to windows.
- Make sure you have your collar with id on, in case you get separated from your humans.
- Don’t get too spooked and start barking, everyone will be nervous enough.
I’ll be keeping my paws crossed for the folks and critters up the east coast! Stay safe!!!!!!
July 16, 2011 § 7 Comments
Thanks, NannyMcFur, for thinking of me! You made me smile (mucho tail wags!!) “Viva la Chica,” if I do say so myself.
Now according to the tradition of this award, I’m supposed to tell you 7 things about myself and my family. What? Only seven? 😉
So here goes:
1. My familia is very convoluted – both on the human and 4-legged side. My Mama’s sister started it all when she got Mami and Papi. A short gestational period later, and I and my 4 siblings came along 🙂 One of my sisters stayed with my parents, and I came to live here in St. Pete with my human family. Then came litter #2, and one of my sisters from that batch, went to live with my Mama’s Mama. Confused? Well, so am I most of the time.
2. Oh, yeah, I have three more adoptive siblings: Señor Cato, aka Tigger -He is veeeeeeery tricky and sneaky! But he eeeeez no match for me, La Super Chica!! And Panchita and Noel, they have glommed on despite the craziness of this familia.
3. And speaking of La Super Chica, that is my alter ego (but shhhhh … don’t tell just anyone. I must keep my identity a secret from the evil masterminds, minions and squirrels.) Look for more adventures in the near future! J.K. Rowling, give me a buzz 😉
4. My favorite snack is Cheerios. Though rice (and black beans, cha, cha, cha) and carrots are close runner-ups. Mom and I have a morning ritual – she flicks me Cheerios and I run all over the place “fetching” them – YUM!! What’s your favorite snack?
5. My favorite toy is the Blue Blurrrrr. I love to dig him up when Mom is sitting on the floor folding laundry. We have fun playing tug-a-war-and-fetch, though it does NOT help with the stacks of laundry.
But enough shameless self-promotion. If you are here, you know I’m a diva and I’m quite proud of it. So now I must give a paws up to some of my favorite pet blogs:
- Starting with the NannyMcFur 😉
- Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder
- Famous Chihuahua
- Life with Dogs
- Dog Tipper
- Tucker Tells All
- Being Henri
- The World according to Lexi
- According to Gus
OK and one more because this is MY blog and I can 😉
- Paka Cat, because you do good work!!
Happy blogging, Amigos!!
Whoops! I should have been clearer. And I will message all my Chicos on the list to clarify: By “Paws Up” I mean I’m passing on and awarding THEM the Versatile Blogger Award! Congratulations, Amigos!!
June 27, 2011 § 2 Comments
I’ve had plenty of dreams in which I am chasing the pesky squirrels in the yard. And many more in which I, for once, am bigger than my Kitty Cato so the world can clearly see WHO’S tha boss. But have you ever dreamt that you could fly? I sure have …
I have those dreams all the time, chicos. Mama says she can tell because I stretch my front paws out like Superman … Whooooosh, and away I go!
Sometimes I am la Super Chica, defender of the very small and righteous!! Those are great adventures to be sure, but they are another story. Other times, and maybe its because it is so hot here in Florida right now, I fly far, far away to other exotic lands … (cue dreamlike music now.)
I go to Paris, of course with Mama. Naturally, we indulge in some haute couture shopping along the Champs. Heh, heh, like mother, like daughter. When our feet can’t take another step, we take a moment to relax and do some lovely people watching at chic sidewalk cafes. At least in my dreams I can indulge in those chocolate croissants. And then, all recovered and re-energized, we take in a lovely stroll through Mom’s favorite park, the Luxembourg Gardens, where I meet myself a MUY handsome monsieur … Oooo, la, la, Pierrrrrrrre!!
Other times I apparate in Britain, once again with Mama. I can’t help it. All the Harry Potter movies Mama makes us watch, I mean I so enjoy watching with Mom, do have an impact on my impressionable mind. So we rent ourselves a small but chic European sportscar (convertible of course) and we take off to explore the countryside, touring castles and legendary sites. We dine in very proper pubs and appropriately toast the Queen, all the while keeping an eye out for fancy hats and fascinators. But with all due respect, I have not been able to make that look work for me, even in my dreams! Seriously!!
Then there are my voyages to Egypt, and yes, once again with Mama in tow (I think you get the picture here). In this mysterious land we tour ancient sites on camelback. Funny critters, those camels. They have a veeeery strange look in those big, penetrating eyes. I’ve heard theories about aliens helping the ancient egyptians to build those magnificent pyramids. Personally, I think the “aliens” are still there in the form of those wacky dromedaries. Well, after some shish kabobs and mesmerizing lute music under the desert sky, we stumble upon a lost era … fascinating, awesome mysteries for my fancy imagination to imagine.
Oh, I can dream, my amigos. I can dream. What do you dream about?
June 11, 2011 § Leave a comment
Deputy Chanel here, once again out and about on my regular neighborhood patrol. And I must say, the days here in Florida are getting longer and hotter. Ay, Caramba! Talk about dragging and panting. So to take my mind off the effects of the 80% humidity on my otherwise flawless and luxurious coat, I sometimes like to pretend I am on safari with Mom. Me, the great adventuress, exploring the wilderness … or the a rain forest (on sprinkler days). Hey, it is NOT such a stretch – after all, we HAVE had an alligator in the neighborhood pond!
I love to stalk through the “savannah” and sneak up on the exotic birds – you know, the occasional spoonbill, Blue Heron or Egret – so focused on their hunt for lizards that they don’t see me coming. Heh, heh, heh, they are awfully funny scrambling to take off when I run up behind them with my lightning speed and barking my head off – long legs, beaks and feathers go EVERY which way.
In my stealth mode I can also get the vantage position on the “great cats” of the southeast – OK, so here they are mere house kitty catos with attitude. But like their greater cousins, they often lounge on the “open plain” (driveways) baking in the warm sun. They are muy silly and sleepy so I can spook them and make them scram. Just like the silly squirrels that I catch snacking on their buried nuts. I like to stand between them and their tree and watch the little wheels turning in their nutty heads as they try to figure out how they’ll get around me to scoot up to safety. I am such an imposing adversary.
But mostly, on our excursions, Mama and I focus on the flora rather than the fauna. This week we have the Crepe Myrtles blooming all over the neighborhood along with some stunning lilies. The beauty of Nature never ceases to amaze.
Ciao for now, chicos, ’til our next great adventure! And Happy Saturday Pet Blog Hopping!
June 1, 2011 § Leave a comment
Pheeeeeeew! It is definitely that muy caliente time of year here in Florida. Let’s just say that the last few days, I’ve been feeling less than fresh as a daisy during my morning walks. Actually, I’ve been looking more like a wilted petunia. Perspiration is definitely not my thing. Mama says that my tongue hanging out and dragging is not terribly chic. So she’s been kindly picking me up when I start to pant and carrying me the rest of the way until we get inside and back to my cool water bowl. And the way it is going, it looks like this summer will be a real hot one. So we looked up some tips on keeping the precious chica cool and safe and we thought we’d share the with you, amigos.
Among my favorites from the ASPCA:
1. Give your pet a summer ‘do’ – I personally am short-haired, but my leeetle heart breaks for my amigos with the long locks.
2. Stay off the hot asphalt – us pups are a lot closer to the ground and the worst of that heat. In particular, at my “elevation” it is hotter than my abuela’s hot tamales!
3. Provide shade and water – bring my Evian please! Don’t leave home without it, and properly chilled, muchachos!!
4. Watch for dehydration and overheating – this one is REALLY serious! To quote the scary warning:
Symptoms of overheating in pets include excessive panting, difficulty breathing, increased heart rate, drooling, weakness, stupor and even collapse, according to the ASPCA website. In more severe cases, pets can have seizures, bloody diarrhea and vomiting.
5. And of course NEVER leave your pet in the car!! – Just check out how quickly things can get dangerous inside a car.
For more great information on caring for your pets during the summer, check out the full article: Keeping your pets safe in hot weather from Patch.com, or go right to the ASPCA website. Stay safe out there, chicos!