April 9, 2011 § 3 Comments
For those of you who sometime envy la Chica and her leisurely life here in sunny Florida, I am here to tell you, it comes with certain risks! Mama was going off to work today when she spotted this little message casually posted on the community announcement board:
What, no “don’t speed and be careful over the new ‘speed bumps'”? Or “watch for children at play and other ankle biters”? Or, “don’t forget trash day is Thursday but be sure to look under your cars for unusual “yard stuff'”?
Sure, “next board meeting is on April 25th and top of the mornin’ to ya”?! Right?!?!?!?!? Helloooooooo! We are talking ALLIGATOR!! I say they’d BETTER get that trapper out here and PRONTO!!!
You see, we have a small pond in the neighborhood and several in the immediate area. And I guess spring IS the season for love even in the alligator world. So this is the time of year for a lot of gators “sightings” as they are on the move professing their love for one another. Funny thing about Florida though, is that a gator has to become a “nuisance” – that is get big enough (hmmm … I wonder eating what?) AND “threaten” residents or pets – before a complaint can be taken seriously enough for the authorities to send a trapper.
“Seriously” enough?!?! This is an “Eeeeek,” “Ay Caramba!” and “Help! Get me outta here!!!” all combined moment if there ever was one.
So yeah, I don’t know about the rest of my peeps around the ole barrio, but I think until further notice me and my Cato will be sunbathing safely just inside of that lanai sliding glass door. Thank … you!!
P.S. Happy and SAFE Saturday Pet Blog Hop 🙂 And to quote another famous chica, “There’s no place like home … There’s no place like home … There’s no place like home … ” Stay safe, amigos.
July 16, 2011 § 7 Comments
Thanks, NannyMcFur, for thinking of me! You made me smile (mucho tail wags!!) “Viva la Chica,” if I do say so myself.
Now according to the tradition of this award, I’m supposed to tell you 7 things about myself and my family. What? Only seven? 😉
So here goes:
1. My familia is very convoluted – both on the human and 4-legged side. My Mama’s sister started it all when she got Mami and Papi. A short gestational period later, and I and my 4 siblings came along 🙂 One of my sisters stayed with my parents, and I came to live here in St. Pete with my human family. Then came litter #2, and one of my sisters from that batch, went to live with my Mama’s Mama. Confused? Well, so am I most of the time.
2. Oh, yeah, I have three more adoptive siblings: Señor Cato, aka Tigger -He is veeeeeeery tricky and sneaky! But he eeeeez no match for me, La Super Chica!! And Panchita and Noel, they have glommed on despite the craziness of this familia.
3. And speaking of La Super Chica, that is my alter ego (but shhhhh … don’t tell just anyone. I must keep my identity a secret from the evil masterminds, minions and squirrels.) Look for more adventures in the near future! J.K. Rowling, give me a buzz 😉
4. My favorite snack is Cheerios. Though rice (and black beans, cha, cha, cha) and carrots are close runner-ups. Mom and I have a morning ritual – she flicks me Cheerios and I run all over the place “fetching” them – YUM!! What’s your favorite snack?
5. My favorite toy is the Blue Blurrrrr. I love to dig him up when Mom is sitting on the floor folding laundry. We have fun playing tug-a-war-and-fetch, though it does NOT help with the stacks of laundry.
But enough shameless self-promotion. If you are here, you know I’m a diva and I’m quite proud of it. So now I must give a paws up to some of my favorite pet blogs:
- Starting with the NannyMcFur 😉
- Obsessive Chihuahua Disorder
- Famous Chihuahua
- Life with Dogs
- Dog Tipper
- Tucker Tells All
- Being Henri
- The World according to Lexi
- According to Gus
OK and one more because this is MY blog and I can 😉
- Paka Cat, because you do good work!!
Happy blogging, Amigos!!
Whoops! I should have been clearer. And I will message all my Chicos on the list to clarify: By “Paws Up” I mean I’m passing on and awarding THEM the Versatile Blogger Award! Congratulations, Amigos!!
June 11, 2011 § Leave a comment
Deputy Chanel here, once again out and about on my regular neighborhood patrol. And I must say, the days here in Florida are getting longer and hotter. Ay, Caramba! Talk about dragging and panting. So to take my mind off the effects of the 80% humidity on my otherwise flawless and luxurious coat, I sometimes like to pretend I am on safari with Mom. Me, the great adventuress, exploring the wilderness … or the a rain forest (on sprinkler days). Hey, it is NOT such a stretch – after all, we HAVE had an alligator in the neighborhood pond!
I love to stalk through the “savannah” and sneak up on the exotic birds – you know, the occasional spoonbill, Blue Heron or Egret – so focused on their hunt for lizards that they don’t see me coming. Heh, heh, heh, they are awfully funny scrambling to take off when I run up behind them with my lightning speed and barking my head off – long legs, beaks and feathers go EVERY which way.
In my stealth mode I can also get the vantage position on the “great cats” of the southeast – OK, so here they are mere house kitty catos with attitude. But like their greater cousins, they often lounge on the “open plain” (driveways) baking in the warm sun. They are muy silly and sleepy so I can spook them and make them scram. Just like the silly squirrels that I catch snacking on their buried nuts. I like to stand between them and their tree and watch the little wheels turning in their nutty heads as they try to figure out how they’ll get around me to scoot up to safety. I am such an imposing adversary.
But mostly, on our excursions, Mama and I focus on the flora rather than the fauna. This week we have the Crepe Myrtles blooming all over the neighborhood along with some stunning lilies. The beauty of Nature never ceases to amaze.
Ciao for now, chicos, ’til our next great adventure! And Happy Saturday Pet Blog Hopping!