La Chica and the empty nesters, part 2
July 30, 2011 § 5 Comments
Sigh … I guess there is no way around it. We’ll soon be left behind as both of the kids go off to college. I tried to take one of those GED thingys which I found out on the internet might get you into this “college” place. But I had no idea what an isosceles triangle was. And who the heck is this Señor Shakespeare? What is up with that?! But did they ask me about Cosmo? The latest in Haute couture? Did they ask where Harry Potter found the last horcruxes? Nooooo.
And now that both our kids are off to college this fall, people say my human parents will be entering the “Mah and Pah” phase of their lives. Well, let me tell you, chicos, no one here is ready to drift quietly into the autumn of anything – not with a lively Chica like me in tha house.
I guess we’ll have to accept it – it will be different. I must admit that I’ve already started to notice some changes in our routines around the casa. But I am determined to make the best of it. Hey, at least for me there will be plusses to being the center of attention. I think we’re going to be seeing a lot more of:
- “TV dinners” – of course at our house that would be anything but Swansons. Mama and I are waaaaay too finicky and high maintenance for that. For us it will be the literally more dinners on the couch while watching TV – which of course means crumbs and tender tidbits aplenty for la Chica. It will be a whole new adventure in cuisine procurement 🙂 I should write a book, don’t you think?
- No more car pools, ballet classes or band practices = more time and the need to fill that void with activity. Can you say Chihuahua massage therapy? Painting Chihuahua portraits? Gardening? Oooo, I’m going to love digging up the yummy carrots!!!!
- There has already been a later-in-life fitness reality check. Mama and Dad are on the war path to health. Which works out to include more walks for the Chica, and therefore more yummy treats right after. I like, I like!!
- Date nights, we’ll have to work out the acceptable terms there. I DO NOT believe that three is a crowd. ‘Nough said.
- More interesting friends will likely be visiting. More Ooooos and Ahhhhhs at the cute, adorable Chica.
- I suppose there will also be more recliner time and well-worn slippers = more lap and belly-scratchin’ time.
God knows I’ll miss the kids, but looking at it like this one thing is for sure. Come fall, I’ll be Mama and Daddy’s little princess full-time!