December 30, 2010 § 1 Comment
Not long after the beautiful Christmas dinner and festivities and here my humans are already worrying about the new year and “resolutions.” Personally, I could do with a little more lazing about, holiday leftover feasts and the lovely nappings that soon follow. But perhaps there is something to this custom that I should explore. I’d keep mine simple. It would make is more likely that I stick to them. Besides I’d hate to over exert my delicate nature.
I could start with “take better care of myself.” That seems to be a popular theme. But who are we kidding. I’m perfectly adorable just as I am.
So maybe I could watch what I eat and mind my figure. Then again, I’d rather just watch what everyone else eats. It would be much more fun and I’d be helping my beloved humans out with their good intentions. Wink, wink.
Perhaps I could work on my interpersonal skills. OK, OK, so I already have my humans under my control. But there are always the dog sitters, visitors and friends to charm into more adoring fans. A Chica can never have enough of those.
I could make it a point to be nicer to my neighbors. Well, maybe most of my neighbors, but I draw the line at the dang squirrels. The guy next door just had his tree trimmed and now we have a bunch of displaced critters wreaking havoc in the front yard and scrambling over the roof disturbing my beauty sleep. I no happy with that!
Maybe I’ll should focus on daily meditations and relaxations. After all a relaxed Chihuahua is a much more agreeable Chica — less crankiness and grrrrrings. Oh, wait, I might have this covered with my six daily naps. Let’s see, I already have:
- The after-I-wake-Mama-up-in-the-morning-but-before-she-can-drag-her-carcass-out-of-bed nap – This little nappy also qualifies as special cuddling time. Mom is in a weakened state and is helpless against my cuteness and my wiles.
- The after breakfast nap – after our Cheerios fetching session and all that cuteness and adorableness, I must rest and compose myself.
- The before lunch snack nap – once I’ve turned over from my after breakfast nap, scratched a little behind my ears and batted my lustrous eyes at the sunshine.
- After lunchtime snack nap – Dad says I’m a pest while he makes his turkey sandwich. I say it was in the fine print and I get snacks when he eats. But turkey does make me sleepy.
- The tummy-full-from-din-din nap – This one helps with the digestion. And besides, Mama is tired from work and likes to lounge on the couch so I can’t resist a snooze on her lap.
- And the during-the-evening-news nap – I must rest before having to arrange all the blankets just right so Mama and I can turn in for the evening. It is a lot of strenuous effort, you know.
Hmmm … I’m not making much progress here. Perhaps I’ll just insinuate myself into some of my human’s resolutions — extra exercise (walks!) and more quality family time (belly scratches!!) — and call it a year.
OK, now it is party time, chicos!! I’m ready to start a Happy New Year conga line!!
December 13, 2010 § Leave a comment
Psst, Psst, amigos! OMG, you gotta get your Mom some of these for Christmas!!
OK, so you know those extra soft plushy toys and blankets that almost feel like a chenille throw? Or those college blankets that are extra thick and fluffy and warm? Now, picture this … Christmas-themed pajama pants for your favorite human in that heavenly fabric! Then think of this … ahhhh, pause to hear the angels sing … curling up on that lap!!!!!
It’s like Mama IS the blankey – all warm and toasty and soft. I didn’t think I could love her more, but I DO! And I neeeever want to get up from here. Seriously, she has to push me off her hap these days. Well, has to keep trying, several times 🙂
I don’t know where she got them, but I think it was on the internets. My dear amigos, just be sure to put them on your Christmas list and make sure Santa knows what good chicos and chicas you’ve been all year.
Mucho love and keeeeesses,
December 10, 2010 § 2 Comments
Mom says I’d make a good sundial. I say, WHATEVER! If it works, don’t knock it, Chica!
You see, there is a lovely high window in our family room. And as the bright Florida sun shines in throughout the day, we (el Cato and I) get to bask in the warm glow that pours in. I have been known to follow that sunny spot as it moves across the room through the afternoon. Personally I think of my napping style as a well strategized, energy-efficient, environmentally-conscious effort to keep this Chica nice and toasty. Plus it gives my coat some lovely highlights, au naturel!
So as long as Mama was going to document this, I thought we’d publish it as step-by-step “How to” for all the chilly Chihuahuas out there experiencing inclement winter weather. Maybe even as a goodwill gesture to all creatures, big and small during this Holiday Season.
Oh, sunny spot,
oh, sunny spot,
how I love thee 🙂
December 6, 2010 § 4 Comments
See El Cato snickering, no, make that laughing at the Chihuahua?
Do you want to know why? I’ll tell you why. Or better yet I’ll show you why!
I try to be a sport when Mama gets cute and tries to play dress up with her little princess. And to be fair it was very chilly here in Florida today. Going down to the thirties tonight!! Mama means well. But when the wicked Cato started laughing at me, I just couldn’t take it anymore.
A Snuggie?!?!?!?! Oh, Mom, why do you do this to me?
December 4, 2010 § 1 Comment
Well, amigos, it has been way too long. Mama has been way too busy with work, kids, etc. But I have just put my paw down and explained the needs of the world and my chicos to help set things straight for her. So I think our blog here can get back on track now. After all, it is Christmas time and we must spread the joy.
And what more fitting topic to start us back up than a great big declaration that
Dog simply rule!
Little dogs in particular, who are not hampered by our stature in our quest to be all that we can be. We are your loyal, fearless defenders. We are your loving, understanding best friend. We support your every mood and quirk with endless tail wagging. We never tire of your stories and adventures and would most willingly accompany you to the ends of the Earth.
Meet some of your heroes:
- Maggie the rescue dog who turned around to save her elderly owner via WRDW News 12 in Augusta, S.C.
- Moses, a three-year-old search and rescue hero from Iowa, via enewschannels.com
- Bandit, a Pomeranian poodle, who woke up the DeStefani family in the middle of the night when toxic black smoke was filling the house, according to this story from MSNBC via Huffington Post.
- Diana the retriever who adopted a baby pig in Spain, via Huffington Post
- Momo (a.k.a. Peach) the Chihuahua, Japan’s smallest Police dog, in a story from The Guardian
- Clyde the Chihuahua who’s love for a Pit Bull saved them both, via Tonic.com
Heroes everywhere and a plenty— at home, on the streets, even in far away lands where there is war and conflict. During this season of giving and family, give your favorite furry friend a big squeeze and an extra pat from me.
Glad to be back with my friends. Mucho love!